Total Pageviews

Monday, July 25, 2011

Grace, gratitude,and the parking spot

The current heat wave is hard to handle. The earth is thirsty, the air is oppresive, tempers flare, fuses of all kinds blow. Our coping mechanisms are challenged-my car air conditioner has not been working through this(drive I-95...challenging, hell yes!) The heat does things to humans, it stirs up the crazies out there, and out they come. Makes for an interesting, and yes, challenging encouter. I had such yesterday. Interestingly enough, the theme for my yoga classes this week is grace bringing us to gratitude that leads to contentment is we allow ourselves to live one breath at a time. You see, as I drove to teach a prenatal class, I arrive at a red light, in front of me is a stopped car, normal, right? So wrong! The driver isn't moving, the light has changed. Horns blow(yes, mine too!) He sticks his head out the window and says something. I say "the light changed." He says "can't you see how close you are to my car, my blinker's on"  I say "  Sir, my car is about 4 feet from yours, I can"t back up, there are cars behind me" (breathe, be calm, grace) Apparently he felt he was entitled to the parking spot a bit behind me on my right-even though he would have to back through me and the now growing backup of cars behind me! I  put my hands up and say "whatever", not wanting to get into it with him. At this point he gets out of his car and comes towards me loudly saying "excuse me, excuse me.." (breathe Maureen, breathe) I say "I am going to 911 if you don't leave me alone" and he retorts "go ahead" as I put up the windows in my un-airconditioned car and get out the cell phone(breathing, hoping I don't have to dial)  the light changes, changes again, no one is moving, horns blare. I dial, my hands are shaking. A good samaritan comes up from behind me and tries to request he move and explains that I can't back up for him.. The light changes several more times as she suggests that he simply drive around the block. The light  changes again....and he decides to drive on. Whew...gratitude! I thank the samaritan, turn the corner and find a parking spot and collect myself.  As I walk into the studio, I find contentment-for still being in one piece, that I tried to be gracious and responded instead of reacting to adverse circumstance, gratitude for the samaritan, grateful for every breath.

1 comment:

  1. I subscribe to a daily reading and the message was "listen to the messages that come in silence." I'm not sure if that applies here, but you were definitely sent a message!
    I'm glad you are okay. This heat has made me focus on cooling practices, as this is Pitta season with a capital P! And that means tempers too!

    ReplyDelete